I knew that Othello was going to be the character that made readers irritated right from the beginning. On the first page of the play, it states how he claimed he wasn’t using nepotism when he chose Michael Cassio for Lieutenant, instead of Iago. In today’s world, Othello would be compared to that kid who uses all of his friends when he needs them to spy and find out secret information, but really has no desire to help
them in return. This is exactly how Othello treats Iago. Othello thinks that Iago enjoys being his personal assistant, but really, working for Othello for so many years has caused him to feel enervated. It bothers me that Othello’s expedient strategy is to keep Iago as his assistant because it works for him. However, I am still not sure if he knows that Iago actually hates working for him. I think Iago has a scintilla of hope for his future, which is why he remains by Othello’s side. However, that must be some Lilliputian hope, because that future of his does not look very bright.
No comments:
Post a Comment